History of the Ranches
In the early 1900’s, the properties currently known as The Root Ranch and The Flying B Ranch were homesteaded for the purpose of farming and ranching. For about 40 years, various owners worked the ranches to raise cattle, farm hay, and plant vegetables and fruit trees. The harsh winters and the remote location made this lifestyle difficult and challenging.
The 1940’s and 1950’s were a time of transition for the ranches, with ownership of each ranch changing several times. New owners experimented with combined farming and backcountry guest ranch operations. In 1961, a group of outdoor enthusiasts purchased the ranches to create the current ownership group, Flying Resort Ranches. Now a group of 150 member shareholders, Flying Resort Ranches has operated the ranches for over nearly 60 years. We maintain a healthy herd of horses and mules for member use and bale alfalfa in the summer months to feed the herd in the winter. Our families and friends use both ranches as places to slow down, unwind, and enjoy the beauty of Idaho’s Frank Church Wilderness.
Members of the Flying Resort Ranches are diverse in their backgrounds, ages, and interests. With a common appreciation for the outdoors, we work together to enjoy and maintain our ranches and to protect the backcountry way of life.